Tuesday, May 6, 2008

What do I shoot with? Nikon D300 plus a bunch of lenses

A number of you asked what kind of Camera I shoot with. I just upgrade to my third camera in 3 years -- my wife, Mary, hopes this isn't a trend! I should be happy for quite a while with the current setup! (really!)

I will make the first caveat... it is the photographer, not the camera! Some of my pictures on the site were taken with my 3 Megapixel Olympus C-3040 that we bought 8 years ago! Ok, good tools and awesome toys DO help!

Equipment I am using:
  • Nikon D300 Body (previously D80 and before that a D50)
  • Lenses
    • Sigma 10-20mm (fun lens for super wide angles)
    • Nikon 18-200VR
    • I have a few other lenses including a nice portrait lens, but those are the primary ones.
  • Benro Tripod and head (This is a Gitzo clone)
  • Filters
    • Lee .9 Hard Stop graduated ND Filter
    • Singh-Ray 3-stop Reverse ND Filter
    • Lee .6 soft ND Filter
    • Lee .9 soft ND Filter
    • Lee Holders (moved to 4x6 filters now)
  • Computers
    • Macbook Pro 15"
    • Mac G4 1G Dual Proc
    • 22" Apple Cinema Display
  • Printing
    • Epson 3800 - Prints up to 17"x25" prints
  • Paper
    • Epson Premium Luster (REALLY nice all around paper)
    • Epson Exhibition Fiber (REALLY expensive but REALLY nice black and white and color prints!) They unfortunately don't make it in 17x25 which is really dumb imho so I am not using this for my large prints.
I will do a posting later on the top things to get to be able to take nice prints -- you DON'T need all of the above if you are just starting out. I will leave you with this --- USE A TRIPOD!!! That is the best tip that I can make as a photographer starting out.

Enjoy!
John

No comments: