Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Making a Postcard Image Different - The Light



When you are working with the beauty of Yosemite it can be easy to take nice images anywhere. You are in an incredible place and everywhere you turn can be spectacular. There are a few things that makes each and every photograph different. When you take the image, the things that makes your image unique from Ansel Adams, or even Galen Rowell's, is the light. Everyday and every time you shoot the light is different.

I captured this image from a perfect postcard place - on top of Glacier Point. The one thing that captured me about this moment that I wanted to preserve was the way the light is captured in the clouds with the color coming alive! I had been watching the clouds form and change all day. A spectacular sunset appeared from under the clouds at the last moment bringing out a breathtaking sunset. You can see Vernal Falls and Nevada Falls off in the distance. The light on the trees in the foreground standing out. Half Dome looking majestic basked in a nice sunset. The snow on the mountain caps in the background. This is my unique post card moment - a place I want to be (and was!) on a Friday afternoon.

Other images from my Yosemite Summer trip can be seen here.

1 comment:

Tony Farley said...

I love what you did with the fore ground as well. The rocks and tree really give the image depth and scale. Great framing where you have the rocks, the tree, the falls, Half Dome and the rest all in the shot. The shot is a journey for the eye.

Tony